In designated Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) Core Areas, landowners of 20 contiguous acres or greater are eligible to receive up to 10 no-cost CWD Management Permits for use on their qualifying properties. CWD Management Permits give eligible landowners the opportunity to take an active role in slowing the spread of CWD by harvesting additional deer on their land in areas where CWD has been detected.
Who is eligible to receive landowner permits?
- All landowners who own 20 contiguous acres or more within a designated CWD Core Area are eligible for CWD Management Permits.
- Eligible landowners may designate additional hunters to receive any quantity of the 10 permits.
How do I know if my property is eligible for CWD Management Permits?
- Current CWD Core Area boundaries can be found on the map below.
- Eligible landowners will receive a letter from MDC in August, notifying them of their eligibility and instructing them how to apply for their no-cost CWD Management Permits.
- If you have questions about your eligibility, please contact 573-522-0141 or WildlifeHealth@mdc.mo.gov
How do I get my CWD Management Permits?
- You will receive a letter from MDC, directing you to an online application.
- In the online application, you will need to enter:
- Your landowner ID (provided in the letter you receive).
- The full name, Conservation ID number, and date of birth for each individual you wish to designate permits to, and the number of permits assigned to each individual (not to exceed 10 in total).
- If you do not have online access you may contact 573-522-0141 or WildlifeHealth@mdc.mo.gov
- After your registration is processed, your permits will be available through the regular permitting system (MO Hunting app, online, retailers or MDC offices). It will typically take at least a week for your registration to be processed.
Note: In order to obtain your permit, you must already possess (or purchase at the same time) an archery or firearm permit of any type.
How do I use a CWD Management Permit?
- Each CWD Permit may be used for the harvest of an any sex deer.
- You may harvest deer with a CWD Permit by any method legal at the time of harvest.
- Individuals using a CWD Management Permit must be “properly licensed,” meaning they must possess a resident or nonresident permit (filled or unfilled) for the specific season they are hunting.
- For example, if you are using a CWD Management Permit during fall firearms season, you must possess a filled or unfilled firearms permit (landowner permits meet this requirement).
- You must Telecheck your deer.
Is CWD sampling required for deer harvested with CWD Management Permits?
- MDC strongly encourages hunters to have ALL deer harvested on CWD Management Permits tested for CWD.
- For landowners requesting processing reimbursement, CWD testing is required.
Where can I get my deer sampled for CWD testing?
Will MDC compensate me for processing my deer if I have it tested for CWD?
- Landowners with CWD Permits are eligible for reimbursement of processing costs (up to $60/deer) for each deer they have tested for CWD.
- Hunters using CWD Management Permits who are not the landowners are not eligible for reimbursement.
- If you need more information, or need to request a reimbursement form, please contact 573-522-0141 or WildlifeHealth@mdc.mo.gov