The Commission recognizes the contributions and sacrifices made by veterans and active duty military and has approved several permit exemptions and low cost permits for active duty military and veterans. This includes:
- Any honorably discharged military veteran having a service-related disability of 60% or greater; or who was a prisoner of war; or currently assigned as a patient to a Warrior Transition Brigade, Warrior Transition Unit or a military medical center may hunt small game (will still need a migratory bird permit for doves) or fish without a permit (will still need a trout permit or trout park tag). The individual only needs to carry with them a letter from the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Any honorably discharged military veteran having a service-related disability of 60% or greater; or who was a prisoner of war; or currently assigned as a patient to a Warrior Transition Brigade, Warrior Transition Unit or a military medical center may receive permits at resident prices. The Warrior Transition Unit/Brigade would include programs such as the Wounded Warrior Program.
- Active duty military and their families stationed in Missouri qualify for resident permits, and resident active duty military and their immediate family stationed out of state qualify for Missouri resident permits.
- If an individual bought a Missouri hunting, fishing, or trapping permit and then couldn't use it for the full valid season because they were called to military duty out of state, they qualify for a free reinstatement of the permit privilege upon their return.
- Residents of Missouri who are currently, or have in the previous twelve (12) months, been mobilized and serving on full-time active military duty in either the National Guard (in Federal Status) or Reserve forces of the United States can hunt small game, fish, and trap with a lower-cost permit. The permit is only $5 compared to $19 for a regular small game and fishing permit.
Veterans are also encouraged to contact one of Missouri’s four trout parks for these free fishing events specifically for service men and women: