Discover Nature — Fishing offers families with children between the ages of 7 and 15 a hands-on introduction into angling.
It's more than breaking out the tackle box. That's why the department is looking for experienced anglers who are ready to lead the next generation of Missouri anglers.
- Lesson one: Equipment, Casting, and Proper Fish Handling
- Lesson two: How to Tie a Knot and Bait a Hook
- Lesson three: Five Common Missouri Fish - Their Anatomy, Habitat, and Life Cycle
- Lesson four: Fishing with Lures and Fishing Regulations
- Classes are free
- No permits or additional paperwork required
- Bait and equipment provided
Enrollees must take lesson one to be eligible for later lessons. However, lessons two, three, and four may be taken in any order once lesson one has been completed.
What to Expect
- Each class is approximately two hours and will include indoor and outdoor segments.
- Separate registration required for each participant
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- All registrants are expected to participate
Both the child and the accompanying adult(s) must be registered for classes in order to attend.
Due to limited space and seating, only those registered for a class may attend.
What to Bring Along
All supplies and fishing equipment will be provided. However, you might want to bring the following:
- Water bottle
- Hat and sunglasses
- Insect repellent
- Notebook and pencil
Cancellation or Withdrawal
In the event of class cancellation or rescheduling, registrants will be notified by either phone or email.
Withdraw from a Class:
To withdraw, navigate to My Events, log in, then select “cancel registration.” Remember that this will have to be done for every participant registered for the class.