You are required to call 800-668-4045 prior to hunting each day to determine if the harvest quota has been met. This line will be updated no later than midnight on each day of the black bear hunting season. Harvest numbers will be assessed daily after 10 p.m. Should a harvest quota be reached, the season will close for that BMZ on the following day. The director of the Conservation Department may close hunting early within a BMZ if harvest reaches 80 percent of the quota. If the harvest quota is met or the director closes the season for the BMZ in which you are hunting, you may not harvest a black bear
Black bears are becoming more common and widespread across the southern half of Missouri. The Conservation Department has determined that the state’s bear population can sustain a limited and highly regulated harvest. This provides opportunity for Missourians to participate in the sustainable harvest of a valuable natural resource, while also allowing for the bear population to continue to grow. Additionally, as bear numbers continue to increase, hunting will serve as an essential component of black bear population management.
Hunting / Fishing Guide
Season Not Open
- October 16, 2023 - October 25, 2023
One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset
One black bear of either sex with the following restrictions:
- You are required to call 800-668-4045 to determine the daily season quota/closure status prior to hunting each day. In addition, if the harvest has reached or exceeded 80 percent of the harvest quota, the director of the Conservation Department may close hunting within that Black Bear Management Zone on the following day.
- Once the harvest quota is met or the Director closes the season for the BMZ in which you are hunting, the season is over, and you may not harvest a black bear.
- Black bears that have taken refuge in a den may not be harvested or harassed.
- Only lone black bears may be harvested. You may not harvest a bear that is with one or more other bears, including female bears with cubs.