MDC offers free hunter education skills sessions in northwest Missouri
Chillicothe, Mo. – The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) is offering free upcoming hunter education skills sessions in northwest Missouri. Participants will earn the safety certificate needed to obtain hunting permits. These sessions will teach and test participants for safe firearms handling and basic hunting skills.
The sessions offered and links to register include:
- Trenton from 5 to 9 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 6, North Central Missouri College Barton Campus, 96 SE Eighth Ave., https://short.mdc.mo.gov/4cN.
- Maryville from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 8, Northwest Technical School, 1515 S. Munn, https://short.mdc.mo.gov/4cx.
- St. Joseph from 6 to 10 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 12, Remington Nature Center, 1502 McArthur Drive, https://short.mdc.mo.gov/4cf.
- Plattsburg from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 13, Hartell Conservation Area classroom, 542 N.E. 280th, https://short.mdc.mo.gov/4cY.
- Hamilton from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 19, Hamilton Middle School commons, 903 N. Davis St., https://short.mdc.mo.gov/4pp.
- Princeton 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 20, Princeton High School, 1008 E. Coleman St., https://short.mdc.mo.gov/4pG.
- Chillicothe 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 27, Litton Agri-Science Learning Center, 10856 Liv 234 Road, https://short.mdc.mo.gov/4pN.
- St. Joseph 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 29, Remington Nature Center, 1502 McArthur Drive, https://short.mdc.mo.gov/4px.
The skills sessions classes are for students ages 11 and older. The certification course can be completed online by hunters ages 16 and older for a paid fee to an online provider. But for hunters ages 11 to 15, or those of any age seeking in-person instruction, they must take the free skills class in person. They will need to complete the knowledge portion of the class prior to the skills session. That can be done by filling out the chapter review questions in the student manual, or youths ages 11 to 15 can complete the knowledge portion online for a fee paid to the provider. Printed student manuals are available at MDC offices in St. Joseph and Chillicothe, or they can be ordered online for free at https://short.mdc.mo.gov/Zox.
Besides teaching safety skills, the hunter education course also teaches basic hunting skills to help newcomers to the sport get started and be successful. COVID-19 safety precautions will be observed at these skills sessions.
To find other hunter education skills sessions near you, visit https://short.mdc.mo.gov/Zof.