WEST PLAINS, Mo. – Fire can be a beneficial land-management tool to improve wildlife habitat and reduce less-desirable plant species when used in controlled, supervised conditions. However, the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) stresses that prescribed fire involves planning and on-site management.
MDC invites landowners and others interested in learning how to use prescribed fire as a land-management tool to these free upcoming workshops in the Ozarks.
- Salem: 6 p.m.-9 p.m. Jan. 22, Salem Community Center, 1300 W. Rolla Road, Salem. Contact MDC Private Land Conservationist Michael Gaskins at 573-226-3241, ext. 106 or Michael.Gaskins@mdc.mo.gov
- Hartville: 6 p.m.-8:30 p.m., Jan. 26, Laclede Electric, 5900 Missouri 5, Hartville, 65667. Contact MDC Private Land Conservationist Lesly Holt at 417-967-2028, ext. 129 or Lesly.Holt@mdc.mo.gov
- Rolla: 6 p.m.-9 p.m., Jan. 26, Phelps County Courthouse, Rolla. Contact MDC Private Land Conservationist Luke Anderson at 800-364-8732, ext. 109 or Luke.Anderson@mdc.mo.gov
- St. Robert: 6 p.m.-9 p.m.; Feb. 9, St. Robert Community Center; Contact MDC Private Land Conservationist Luke Anderson at 800-364-8732 or Luke.Anderson@mdc.mo.gov.
- West Plains: 6 p.m.-8 p.m., Feb. 11, MDC Ozark Regional Office, 551 Joe Jones Blvd., West Plains. Contact MDC Private Land Conservationist Marcus Asher, 417-256-7117, ext. 114 or Marcus.Asher@mdc.mo.gov
- Thayer, 6 p.m.-8 p.m., Feb. 18, Thayer Elementary School Cafeteria, 365 E. Walnut, Thayer. Contact MDC Private Land Conservationist Marcus Asher at 417-256-7117, ext. 114 or Marcus.Asher@mdc.mo.gov
MDC staff will discuss methods and techniques for implementing controlled burns, safety considerations and proper weather conditions for conducting a burn. The workshops will also cover how to create a burn plan and time the burn based on management objectives and landscape.
MDC works with you and for you to sustain healthy fish, forests and wildlife. For more information on prescribed burns, go to mdc.mo.gov/your-property/fire/prescribed-fire.