Applications open Sept. 1 for waterfowl hunting reservations

News from the region
Published Date

JEFFERSON CITY- Missourians who want to hunt ducks or geese on wetland areas managed by the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) can start applying for reservations Sept. 1.

This year’s historic drought may influence the availability of hunting spots. Hunters have from Sept. 1 through 18 to apply for waterfowl hunting reservations at Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) managed wetland areas. You can apply for reservations at Drawing results will be available Oct. 1.

Those who want to hunt at the three areas under the Quick Draw reservation system will enter the drawing closer to their hunt dates. All applications will be handled exclusively online.

Drawings for Eagle Bluffs, Grand Pass and Otter Slough conservation areas will be handled under the Quick Draw system again this year. For those three areas, a drawing on Monday of each week will assign hunting slots for the following Friday through Monday. A Quick Draw each Thursday will assign slots for the following Tuesday through Thursday. Quick Draw applications will open approximately a week before the North-Zone opener.

This year’s historic drought may influence the availability of hunting spots at MDC-managed wetland areas. Whether applying through the traditional reservation system or Quick Draw, applicants need the nine-digit identification number found at the top of their hunting or fishing permit. The number also is next to the bar code on Conservation Heritage Cards.

To apply for reservations under Quick Draw, hunters over age 15 and under age 65 need a small-game hunting and a migratory bird permit. Hunters under age 16 only need a Conservation Identification Number.

Disabled hunters may apply for ADA blinds through Quick Draw. For non-Quick Draw areas, hunters may apply by calling the area office on or after Oct. 1. Hunters wishing to use an ADA blind must submit a hunter method exemption form. These are available at or by calling any MDC Regional Office.

Neither Quick Draw nor the traditional system allows nonresidents to apply for reservations. However, resident hunters who draw reservations can include nonresidents in their hunting parties. Nonresidents also can take part in the daily, on-site “poor-line” drawings under both systems.

Unclaimed reservations under both the Quick Draw and traditional draw system are added to those available in the “poor line,” where hunters without reservations can draw for a chance to hunt.

-Jim Low-