Don't waste your time and money on inferior trees. Always plant good-quality trees from reputable nurseries and garden centers.
Buy the right tree for the site
- Know the tree's future size, shape and overall appearance before purchase.
- Know the tree's cultural requirements (light, shade, moisture, soil type, etc.).
- Consult with reputable nursery owners about choosing the right tree for your site.
Look for these qualities
- Long, vigorous branches on current year's growth, with well developed buds.
- Pleasing proportion of height to spread. Well developed lateral branches.
- A straight trunk with an absence of wounds.
- Firm, moist root ball or container soil.
Transporting and storing trees
- Keep roots moist.
- Protect branches from windy rides in open truckbeds.
- Plant trees as soon as possible after purchase.
- Lift trees by their containers or root balls to avoid breaking fine roots and to protect trunks.