Fire Department Assistance Programs

Cost-share for Wildfire-fighting Equipment

Every year, Missouri fire departments serving communities of less than 10,000 can apply for a 50 percent reimbursement grant to help buy firefighting equipment. This equipment must also be suitable for controlling wildfires. Winning applicants receive reimbursement for up to one-half of the equipment’s purchase price, with a maximum reimbursement of $3,000. Available funding, which is provided by the Department and the U.S. Forest Service, exceeds $300,000 annually.

For questions about this grant opportunity or to receive an application, contact:

Ben Webster, MDC Fire Program Supervisor
573-522-4115, ext. 3113

Federal Equipment for Local Fire Departments

Fire departments across the state are eligible to receive excess federal property, including various types of vehicles and firefighting or emergency-response equipment. Send requests for excess property through to your local forestry representative.

Excess Property Programs

The excess property is available through an agreement with the Department and the U.S. Forest Service and is acquired through two federally-sponsored programs. Both programs’ equipment is processed and housed at the Rural Forest Fire Equipment Center in Lebanon, Missouri.

Federal Excess Personal Property (FEPP)

This program allows local fire departments to use federal excess property, but the federal government maintains ownership. Local fire departments may borrow this property, but they must return it to the Department when the need for it has passed, or the property is no longer functional.

Fire Fighter Property (FFP)

This program allows the Department to acquire federal excess property and transfer ownership to local Missouri fire departments.

For questions about either of the federal excess-property programs, contact:

Ben Webster, MDC Fire Program Supervisor
573-522-4115, ext. 3113

Related Content

Stay in Touch with MDC

Stay in Touch with MDC news, newsletters, events, and manage your subscription

Sign up

Our Magazines

Conservationist Magazine

Our monthly publication about conservation in Missouri--free to all residents.


Xplor Magazine for kids

Xplor helps kids find adventure in their own backyard. Free to residents of Missouri.

American Mink