Public opinion is an important part of the Missouri Department of Conservation’s deer management efforts so MDC is holding public meetings around the state to inform citizens of its deer management efforts and to gather feedback.
Questions being asked by the Department include:
- What are your thoughts on the use of crossbows by all hunters during archery season?
- Do you have ideas related to moving the November portion of the firearms season back one week?
- Do you have comments on the elimination or reduction in the length of the antlerless portion of the firearm season?
- Do you think implementing a one-buck limit for archery season or a one-buck annual limit regardless of method is a good or bad idea?
- What are your thoughts on continuing or implementing the antler point restriction in the county you hunt?
Meeting topics will cover:
- History of deer management in Missouri;
- Hunter retention and recruitment;
- Qualitative and quantitative information on what MDC has heard from the public;
- Deer Management Plan;
- Possible regulation changes related to archery hunting and use of crossbows, timing of seasons, harvest limits for bucks and does, and disease management efforts related to Chronic Wasting Disease and other infectious diseases;
- Other issues under consideration related to landowner permits, conservation area deer management, and urban deer management; and
- Thank you and “stay in touch” to gather demographic information and email addresses from attendees.
Stop by these remaining open-house public meetings between 3 and 8 p.m. to learn more and share opinions:
- June 18: Joplin -- Missouri Southern State University Cornell Auditorium in Plaster Hall, 3950 Newman Road
- June 19: Warsaw -- Warsaw Community Building Gym, 181 Harrison St.
- June 23: St. Louis – Crestwood Community Center, 9245 Whitecliff Park Lane
- June 24: Jackson – Knights of Columbus Hall, 3305 North High St.
- June 25: Van Buren – Van Buren Youth and Community Center, 1204 D Highway
- June 26: West Plains – West Plains Civic Center Exhibit Hall, 110 St. Louis St.
- June 30: Kirksville – Kirksville High School Gym, 1300 S. Cottage Grove
- July 1: Chillicothe – Litton Agriculture Campus M.W. Jenkins Building, 10780 Liv 235
- July 2: Lees’ Summit – Lakeland Community Church, 913 NE Colbern Road
- July 7: Hannibal – Quality Inn Atlantis Ballroom, 120 Lindsey Drive
- July 8: St. Joseph – Missouri Western University 218/219 Blum Union, 4525 Downs Drive
- July 9: Columbia – Hilton Garden Inn Magnolia Room, 3300 Vandiver
Attend a public meeting to learn about deer management, deer hunting, and to share opinions. Unable to attend a meeting? Get more info online at mdc.mo.gov/node/28079. Share comments online at mdc.mo.gov/node/28131.