- 3 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 1 c. warm water
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 2 Tbs. olive oil plus some for topping
- 1/2 tsp. each basil, oregano, garlic powder and salt
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, cut in thin strips
- 1 c. diced fresh morel mushrooms (or frozen sautéed)
- 1/2 c. grated Asiago or Romano cheese
Mix 1 cup of the flour with the yeast, sugar and salt. Stir in water and oil. Add flour until thick enough to knead. Turn on a floured surface and knead lightly, working in more flour. Return to an oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled.
Oil a pizza pan or prepare a pizza stone with cornmeal. Roll the dough into a large circle and place on pan or stone. Brush the top with olive oil, then sprinkle on herbs and salt. Arrange peppers and morels on top.
If using a pizza stone, place in a cold oven, turn to 450F and bake for 15 minutes. If using a pizza pan, preheat the oven first. Sprinkle on cheese and bake another 10-15 minutes until done. Serve hot with a meal or split and use as bread for sandwiches.