James A. Reed Memorial Wildlife Area
Some of the area multi-use trails will be closed during the managed dove hunt and managed deer hunts. Check office for details.
Kansas City Regional Office Hours
Open year-round, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed all State holidays and weekends. (816) 622-0900
James A. Reed Memorial WA Hours
Open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily, except during daylight savings time (2nd Sunday in March to the 1st Sunday in November) area hours are 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Hours are subject to change during special hunts or as otherwise posted.
South on Ranson Rd (RA) from US 50 Hwy 1 mile to the entrance on the east side of the road.
- James A. Reed Memorial Wildlife Area is celebrating 60 years as a conservation destination.
- Portions of the James A. Reed Memorial Wildlife Areas roads are under construction. Thank you for your patience.
- Opening day for doves at the Reed Area will be Tuesday, Sept. 4, beginning at 1 p.m. This is a change from previous years when shooting began at 12 noon. Dove hunting is permitted only by managed hunt for up to the first seven days of the season. If hunt opportunity exceeds demand before day seven, a self-check system will be used like in the past. As in prior years, the area will be closed to dove hunting during the Labor Day weekend and on the holiday.
- After the managed hunt portion of the dove season at the Reed Area, the area will be open for dove hunting through the regular statewide season with shooting hours beginning at 1 p.m. This will include weekends after Labor Day. Hunters are required to obtain a hunting card at the Reed Area headquarters and return it with harvest information following their hunt.
- 60 year Anniversary and National Hunting & Fishing Day event will be held September 22nd from 10am -3pm at the old Reed Area office. Check Area office for details.
- The Managed Archery Deer Hunt will begin October 27th and end November 4th . The Area is open to the public during this hunt.
- The Managed Muzzleloader Deer Hunts will run from November 6th through November 19th and again from November 12th through November 16th. The Area will be closed to all public use except for managed muzzleloader hunt participants.
- Trout stocking at Coot Lake, Plover Lake and Honker pond (kids only) will occur sometime after the managed deer hunts have concluded.
- Waterfowl hunting will begin on November 19th by reservation only. Check Area office for details.
- Rabbit & Squirrel hunting on the James A. Reed MWA begins on December 1st. A Daily hunt card is required. Check Area office for details.