JEFFERSON CITY—The Missouri Department of Conservation plans to hold workshops statewide to gather hunters’ ideas about the timing of duck season and where waterfowl hunting zone boundaries should be located.
Because ducks and other waterfowl migrate across state and international boundaries, ultimate responsibility for their management rests with federal officials. Each year, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service establishes frameworks for season length and bag limits. Waterfowl population surveys provide the basis for setting frameworks that are either liberal, moderate or restrictive. States set their regulations within the federal frameworks.
Every five years, states have the opportunity to adjust existing duck zones or consider fewer zones with a split in each zone where a break occurs at some point during the season. These decisions are based on previous years’ experience and on hunters preferences.
This year, MDC will consider duck season dates and zone boundaries for the 2011 through 2015 hunting seasons. The agency has scheduled 15 workshops around the state in March and April to learn how hunters feel about duck season dates and hunting zones that have been in place for the past five years and what they would like to see for the next five years.
Duck Season Dates and Zone Boundaries Workshops will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. on the following dates and locations. Additional details are available by calling the number listed for each workshop.
• Columbia: March 7 at the Boone Electric Cooperative, 1413 Rangeline St., 573-882-8388.
• St. Charles: March 10 at Stegton Regency Banquet Center, 1450 Wall St., 636-441-4554. (Preregistration is required.)
• St. Joseph: March 14 at MDC Northwest Regional Office, 701 James McCarthy Drive, 816-271-3100.
• Blue Springs: March 15 at Burr Oak Woods Conservation Nature Center, 1401 NW Park Road, 816-655-6250.
• Jackson: March 22 at Knights of Columbus Hall, 3305 N. High (also known as Hwy 61 between Jackson and Fruitland), 573-290-5730.
• Dexter: March 23 at the National Guard Armory, Hwy 114 East near airport, 573-290- 5730.
• Kennett: March 24 at the Justice Center, corner of the North Bypass (also called Ely) and Floyd St., 573-290-5730.
• Joplin: March 28 at the Wildcat Glade Conservation Area and Audubon Center, 201 W. Riviera Drive, 417-895-6880.
• Springfield: March 29 at the Springfield Conservation Nature Center, 4600 S. Chrisman, 417-895-6880.
• Nevada: March 30 at the Vernon County/Nevada Community Center, 200 N. Ash Street, 417-876-5226.
• Clinton: March 31 at the Clinton Christian Church, 1201 E. Ohio St., 660-885-6981.
• Mound City: April 4 at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge headquarters, 5 miles south of Mound City, just off Interstate 29. Take exit 79 and drive 3 miles west on Hwy 159, 816-271-3100.
• Chillicothe: April 5 at Grand River Inn, 606 W. Business 36, 816-271-3100.
• Kirksville: April 6 at the MDC Northeast Regional Office, 3500 S. Baltimore, 660-785-2420.
• Hannibal: April 7 at the Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Road, 573-248-2530.