Team Henges Trapshooting Club nabs top honors at three competitions
High Ridge, Mo. — Team Henges Trapshooting Club, comprised of youth from all over the St. Louis-area and representing the Missouri Department of Conservation’s Jay Henges Shooting Range, took multiple top honors at three recent trapshooting competitions.
Most recently, the team competed with 878 other shooters at the Paul Larsen Memorial High School Shoot in Linn Creek. Despite difficult weather conditions – rain and cold – the team left with multiple awards, including:
- First place in the Junior High Open Division, scoring 467 out of 500 targets, with Matt Book, 14 of Crestwood, William Tihen, 14 of Washington, Ben Young, 12 of House Springs, Abbey Stoner, 14 of Webster Groves, and Bradley Cox, 14 of Wildwood.
- Second place in the High School Open Division, scoring 478 out of 500 targets, with Jack Koury, 16 and Nick Koury, 16 of Manchester, Sam Foppe, 14 of High Ridge, Anthony Simon, 16 of Ballwin and George Hensley III, 18 of Kirkwood.
- Fourth place in the High School Open Division, scoring 473 out of 500 targets, with Max Weiser, 14 of Town & Country, Kyle Lazarski, 15 of Crestwood, Cecilia Young, 15 of House Springs, Jack Lowrey, 15 of Ballwin and Richard Kotva III, 16 of High Ridge.
- Top Lady Shooter with a score of 99 out 100, Cecelia Young.
On April 13, the team attended the Spring Break’em Regional Tournament at St. Louis Skeet and Trap Club in Pacific. At that event, Team Henges Junior Varsity Squad took the Overall High Squad Award with a score of 459 out of 500 targets. That freshman squad, comprised of Book, Tihen, Young, Stoner and Cox, beat all other senior squads competing in the event.
Other awards at that event were:
- High Overall: First - Book 97/100
- High Overall: Third - Lowrey 96/100
- High School division: Third - Thomas 95/100
- Lady: First - Stoner 92/100
- Lady: Second – C. Young 87/100
- Junior High: First - Tihen 94/100
- Junior High: Second – B. Young 93/100
- Junior High: Third - Aidan Kurrus, 12 of Kirkwood 93/100
On April 7, the team competed at the Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) Regional Shoot in Sparta, IL. There were 53 trap squads competing at the event, and Team Henges won two of the High Overall awards for the event, including:
- A. Stoner, high overall lady division with a score of 95/100
- High Overall Intermediate Division, squad comprised of Stoner, Cox, Tihen, Young and Book, shooting 461 out of 500 targets.
Other awards at that event were:
Junior Varsity Awards
- High Overall Individual JV Division: 1st Place, Weiser, 94/100
- High Overall Squad JV Division: Weiser, Young, Lazarski, Lowrey, Kotva, 434/500.
- Individual JV Division: 1st Place, Young, 90/100.
- High Overall Intermediate Division: 2nd Place, Stoner
- High Overall Intermediate Division: 3rd Place, Cox
- High Overall Intermediate Division: 5th Place, Book
- Intermediate Squad Awards, 3rd Place, Team Henges Blue (410/500): Josh Taylor, 14 of Wildwood, John Appelbaum, 13 of Webster Groves, Nathan Stoner, 12 of Webster Groves Doug Williams, 13 of Wildwood and Kramer Ennis, 11 of Fenton – all first year shooters.
- Intermediate Individual Awards, Men's Division: 2nd Place, Cox
- Intermediate Individual Awards, Men's Division: 4th Place, Book.
- Intermediate Individual Awards, Men's Division: 5th Place, Tihen.
- Intermediate Individual Awards, Ladies Division: A. Stoner.
Team Henges is a competitive youth trapshooting team established in 2007, and based at the Department of Conservation Jay Henges Shooting Range in High Ridge, MO. The team consists of 38 boys and girls, ranging in age from 9 to 18. The team is led by Head Coach Mr. Jan Morris and five assistant coaches. For more information on Team Henges, call Morris at 636-464-6214.