JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- From December through February, Missouri's winter eagle watching is spectacular. Discover nature with the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) through Eagle Days events around the state, or enjoy eagle-viewing on your own.
Because of its big rivers, many lakes and expansive wetlands, Missouri is one of the leading lower 48 states for bald eagle viewing. Each fall, thousands of these great birds migrate south from their nesting range in Canada and the Great Lakes states to hunt in the Show-Me State. Eagles take up residence wherever they find open water and plentiful food. More than 2,000 bald eagles are typically reported in Missouri during winter.
MDC offers Eagle Days events on the dates and locations listed below. The events include live captive-eagle programs, exhibits, activities, videos, and guides with spotting scopes. Watch for eagles perched in large trees along the water's edge. View them early in the morning to see eagles flying and fishing. Be sure to dress for winter weather and don't forget cameras and binoculars.
- Dec. 6 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Dec. 7 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge south of Mound City. Call 816-271-3100 for more information.
- Jan. 10 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Jan. 11 from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Smithville Lake Paradise Pointe Golf Course Clubhouse north of Kansas City. Call 816-532-0174 for more information.
- Jan. 17 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Jan. 18 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the MDC Springfield Conservation Nature Center. Call 417-888-4237 for more information.
- Jan. 17-18 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Old Chain of Rocks Bridge south of I-270 off Riverview Drive in St. Louis. Call 314-877-1309 for more information.
- Jan. 24 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Jan. 25 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Lock and Dam 24 and Apple Shed Theater in Clarksville. Call 660-785-2420 for more information.
- Feb. 7 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mingo National Wildlife Refuge off State Highway 51 near Puxico. Call 573-222-3589 for more information.
Can't make an Eagle Days event? Other hot spots for winter eagle viewing include:
- Lake of the Ozarks at Bagnell Dam Access east of Bagnell
- Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area on Route K southwest of Columbia
- Lock & Dam 24 at Clarksville
- Lock & Dam 25 east of Winfield
- Mingo National Wildlife Refuge northwest of Puxico
- Moses Eagle Park at Stella
- Old Chain of Rocks Bridge south of I-270, off of Riverview Drive in St. Louis
- Riverlands Environmental Demonstration Area east of West Alton
- Schell-Osage Conservation Area north of El Dorado Springs
- Smithville Lake north of Kansas City
- Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge south of Mound City
- Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge south of Sumner
- Table Rock Lake and Shepherd of the Hills Fish Hatchery southwest of Branson
- Truman Reservoir west of Warsaw
For more information, visit mdc.mo.gov/events/eagledays.