Discover Nature — Fishing
Free, hands-on fishing instruction
Fishing is a great way for everyone to have fun outdoors, learn about conservation, and make happy memories together. Our Discover Nature — Fishing Program helps Missourians gain the skills and confidence to go fishing on their own. Don't let inexperience keep you and your kids from enjoying Missouri's great outdoors. Browse the events calendar below, or call your local Department of Conservation office to find out when Discover Nature — Fishing classes are available.
- Classes are free.
- Register by calling your regional office.
- Take one class, or complete the entire program of four, two-hour classes.
- Wear clothing and footwear suitable for the outdoors and water activities. No special equipment needed — we’ll provide all the gear.
Discover Nature — Fishing Classes
Each class is two hours long, and you must take lesson one before registering for any one of the other three.
- Lesson one: Equipment, Casting, and Proper Fish Handling
- Lesson two: How to Tie a Knot and Bait a Hook
- Lesson three: Five Common Missouri Fish - Their Anatomy, Habitat, and Life Cycle
- Lesson four: Fishing with Lures and Fishing Regulations
More advanced classes are now being offered. See the Discovery Nature - Fishing Events list below for what new classes are available.