Discover Nature — Fishing
Free, hands-on fishing instruction for kids and families
Fishing is a great way for kids and families to have fun outdoors, learn about conservation, and make happy memories together. Our Discover Nature — Fishing Program helps kids ages 7 to 15 and families gain the skills and confidence to go fishing on their own. Don't let inexperience keep you and your kids from enjoying Missouri's great outdoors. Browse the events calendar below, or call your local Department of Conservation office to find out when Discover Nature — Fishing classes are available.
- Classes are free.
- Register by calling your regional office (browse our Public Contacts Directory below).
- Classes are for youth ages 7 to 15 (accompanied by an adult), and families (adults registering along with their child of any age). People age 16 and older cannot register alone for Discover Nature — Fishing classes. They must be part of a family registration.
- Take one class, or complete the entire program of four, two-hour classes. (You must take lesson one before you can take the other three.)
- Wear clothing and footwear suitable for the outdoors and water activities. No special equipment needed — we’ll provide all the gear.
Discover Nature — Fishing Classes
Each class is two hours long, and you must take lesson one before registering for any one of the other three.
- Lesson one: Equipment, Casting, and Proper Fish Handling
- Lesson two: How to Rig a Pole and Bait a Hook
- Lesson three: Aquatic Biology, Ecology, and Conservation
- Lesson four: Fishing with Lures