Discover Nature Photo Contest Rules
Learn the rules and technical requirements before playing the Missouri Department of Conservation's latest photo contest.
Important! Be sure to browse all the Official Contest Rules on this page.
- Take a photo that shows what discovering nature in Missouri means to you.
- Choose one of these social media: Google+, Instagram, or Twitter. These have proven to work well with the tagboard system. Make sure your privacy settings are set to public.
- Type the hashtag #MDCdiscovernature — along with a description of the subject and where you took it — into the subject line. Here’s an example: “Eagles feeding at Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area #MDCdiscovernature.”
- Attach your nature photo and send it.
- After a few hours, check the #MDCdiscovernature tagboard to see if it has appeared.
Please see Discover Nature Photo Contest Advisories for more details about choosing and using social media services for this photo contest.
What do I win?
- Eleven chances (January through November) to get your great Missouri nature photo published in the January 2015 issue of the Missouri Conservationist.
- Each month of 2014, Department staff will pick a winning photo and post it on the Discover Nature Photo Contest Winners page, usually within the first couple weeks of the new month.
- We’ll publish all eleven monthly winners in the January 2015 issue of the Missouri Conservationist.
How will the Department contact me if I win?
- If you are a winner, Department staff will contact you through the social networking site you used to submit photos. So be sure to monitor that account.
Official Contest Rules
- The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) Discover Nature Photo Contest begins January 1, 2014, and ends on November 15, 2014, at 5:00 p.m. Central Daylight Time.
Who can play
- You must be 18 years or older and cannot be an active employee of the Missouri Department of Conservation.
- By submitting any and all entries, you agree to the rules of the contest and affirm that you are 18 years or older.
- Parents may enter photos taken by their children, but they must include the child's name and age in the photo caption.
- If you've won a magazine or newspaper contest with your photo(s) already, please let someone else have a chance.
- MDC staff will determine winners' eligibility based on information submitted.
What to enter
- Up to 10 photos per month.
- Photos taken in Missouri that include scenes of native wildlife, plants, and/or natural places. It’s OK to include people and pets in your nature shots. Strive to show what discovering nature in Missouri means to you.
- Include photo captions with all submissions. Captions should include the following:
- The subject of the photo
- The location of the photo
- Any other information you'd like us to know about the photo.
- Size: Photos MUST be at least 2,000 pixels wide or larger. Some social networking sites may automatically resize images to a smaller size or may not accept large images. If that is the case, MDC will assume that you, the submitter, have read the rules and are only submitting images that are available in at least a 2,000-pixel size. When MDC has selected an image as a winner, staff will contact submitters and ask for the high-resolution file to be sent directly. If you cannot produce an image of sufficient resolution, then staff will select an alternate winner.
- Format: Photos MUST be in JPG format.
- Editing: Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (cropping, small corrections to color, contrast or exposure, dust removal) will NOT be accepted.
- By entering the contest, you grant to the Missouri Department of Conservation a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual and non-exclusive license to reproduce, display, distribute and publish your photo in any MDC media, including magazines, websites, books, and exhibits or other publications managed by MDC, in context of this photo contest only. Images will not be used by MDC for purposes unrelated to the promotion of this photo contest and display of the winners. You retain all other rights to your photos.
- Department staff will choose a monthly winner and display it on the Discover Nature Photo Contest Winners page.