7 Ideas for Family Fun
To find more events near you, call your regional office, or visit mdc.mo.gov and choose your region.
River Clean Up
- May 3, Saturday, 8 a.m..-Noon
- Southeast Region, Red Star Access pavilion, Water St., Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
- Registration required, call 573-290-5218Ages 12 and older
Help us clean up the banks of the mighty Mississippi River. The river is a great place to view wildlife, watch the river flow, and just hang out — especially when it’s not being obscured by trash. Participants may be transported by boat to other areas of the riverbank.
Ten Years, 10 Ways to Celebrate!
- May 4, Sunday, Noon-6 p.m.
- St. Louis Region, Columbia Bottom Conservation Area, 801 Strodtman Rd., St. Louis, MO 63138
- Registration required, call 314-877-6014All ages, families
For a decade, the Howard and Joyce Wood Education and Visitor Center has served Columbia Bottom CA as a gateway to discovery. Celebrate the “wood shed’s” anniversary with a hayride, scavenger hunt, bike hike, sunrise or sunset walk, and more. Check out the full schedule of activities at mdc.mo.gov/node/298.
Basic Handgun Shooting & Safety for Women
- May 6, Tuesday, 5:30-9:30 p.m.
- Central Region, Ammo Alley, 11562 County Rd. 395, Hartsburg, MO 65039
- Registration required, call Brian Flowers at 573-815-7901, ext. 3388 or email Brian.Flowers@mdc.mo.gov
Ages 18 and older Learn the basics of handgun safety, hunting, shooting techniques, equipment, and much more. Classroom lessons will be followed by mentored shooting at a local indoor shooting range.
Wings Over Weston
- May 10, Saturday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Northwest Region, Weston Bend State Park, 16600 Highway 45 North, Weston, MO 64098
- No registration All ages
A free festival for the whole family. No one is too young or old to learn about birds, monarchs, migration, and habitat. There will be activities for everyone, including games, arts and crafts, and guided hikes.
Conservation Kids Club: Take Your Parent Camping
- May 16, Friday, 6 p.m. -May 17, Saturday, 8 a.m.
- Kansas City Region, Burr Oak Woods Conservation Nature Center, 1401 NW Park Rd., Blue Springs, MO 64015
- Registration required, beginning May 1, call 816-228-3766
- Ages 7-13, with parent(s)
Kids, have you always wanted to go camping at Burr Oak Woods CNC? Whether you are an old hand at camping or you have always wanted to try it, this campout is for you. Don’t miss out on this special evening under the stars. Activities include canoeing, fishing, stories, and songs around the campfire.
Lets Go Fishing
- May 19, Monday, 10 a.m.-Noon
- St. Louis Region, Forest Park, 5595 Grand Dr., St. Louis, MO 63112
- Registration required, beginning May 5, call 314-877-1309
- Ages 7-12, with parent(s)
Learning the basics of fishing. All equipment will be provided as we fish for catfish, bass, or sunfish. This program meets at the Educational Fishing Lakes and Hatchery. Bring a water bottle and dress for the weather, rain or shine.
- May 31, Saturday, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Ozark Region, Twin Pines Conservation Education Center, Route 1, Box 1998, Winona, MO 65588
- Registration required, call 573-325-1381 or email@example.com
- All ages
Includes identification, preparation, and cooking instructions. Taste samples of nature’s bounty throughout the seasons.
Discover Nature Photo Contest
Show the world your idea of discovering nature in Missouri. Using your Google+, Instagram, or Twitter account, tag your Missouri nature photos with “#MDCdiscovernature.” Your photos will appear on our website at mdc.mo.gov/node/26255, where you can also read the contest rules. Every month, Department staff will select and post a winning photo. We’ll publish all of the monthly winners in the January 2015 issue of the Conservationist.