Kids In Nature
7 Simple Ideas for Family Fun
- Listen for migrating birds in the evening.
- Draw a picture of a migrating monarch butterfly.
- Find a jewelweed seedpod and see how it explodes when touched.
- Fall color begins to show in sumac, take a walk and try to spot one.
- Watch for glowworms in low water.
- Try to spot a squirrel burying acorns and nuts for the winter.
- Male white-tailed deer rub their antlers against small trees and shrubs (called a buck rub) in the fall to remove the fuzzy covering on their antlers called velvet. Try to find a buck rub in the woods.
Kids in Nature Photo Contest!
Break out those cameras and send us your best images of you and your family enjoying the outdoors for our new photo contest. Once again, we will be accepting entries via the online photo sharing service, Flickr. If you are not a member of Flickr, it is easy and free to join. Once you are a member, just navigate to our kids in nature group page: flickr.com/groups/mdc-kids-in-nature and submit your photos. MDC staff will select a winner every month and display it on our website. All of the monthly winners will appear in the January 2014 issue of the magazine.