techniques to propagate pallid sturgeon, Topeka shiners and rare freshwater mussels for reintroduction efforts, and to create educational materials about the decline of Indiana bats and Ozark hellbenders.
In addition to helping protect Missouri’s natural diversity, participants will receive a T-shirt featuring bottomland forests and swamps. Winners will receive medals depicting Missouri endangered species.
This event is hosted by the Missouri departments of Conservation, Natural Resources, and Health and Senior Services, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Jefferson City Parks, Recreation, and Forestry. Sponsors include ColorGraphic Printing of Springfield, Wal-mart, AmerenUE and the St. Louis zoo.
- Who: Anyone can participate
- What: A 10K Run (6.2 miles), 5K Run (3.1 miles) and 5K walk
- Where: North Jefferson City Pavilion near the Katy Trail at the intersection of Highways 63 and 54.
- When: Saturday, Oct. 13. The walk begins at 8:45 a.m., and the run begins 9 a.m. Pick up race packets (including numbers and chips) on-site from 8 to 8:45 a.m. Packets also can be picked up on Friday, Oct. 12, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Missouri Department of Conservation headquarters, 2901 W. Truman Blvd., in Jefferson City
- Registration fees (includes long-sleeved T-shirt): Mail-in, postmarked by Oct. 1: $22, 15 or older; $15, 14 or younger. Mail-in, postmarked after Oct. 1 or day-of-race registration: $25 (all ages). Online (fees will go up after Oct. 1): $20, 15 or older (plus service fee); $15, 14 or younger (plus service fee).
- Youth Teams: The registration fee is $15 for the entire team (T-shirts not included). A team can be a group of 5 to 10 kids (18 and younger) and must be accompanied by one adult. Team members can sign up for the 5K or 10K run or the 5K walk and do not all have to run or walk the same distance. Team members who want to purchase T-shirts should indicate their size on the Youth Team Registration Form and include $10 for each shirt. Youth Team Registration forms must be received by Friday, Oct. 7. Team Awards: In addition to receiving team certificates and a gift bag, youth team members are eligible for awards given to the first three male and female finishers in each of the following 5K run and 5K walk divisions: 10 and younger; 11 through 14; and 15 through 19. The 10K run will have one division for all participants who are 19 and younger.
- Safety rules: No headphones or pets allowed on the trail. Strollers/joggers are welcome, but they must stay at the end of the lineup at the start of the race.
Kids’ Endangered Species Walk/Run Postcard Contest
- Postcards must be received by Oct. 1, 2007. Your design may be no larger than 4 by 6 inches and no smaller than 3.5 by 5 inches, must be on index card stock, and include endangered plants and/or animals found in a bottomland forest or swamp habitat. The backside must include your grade, name and mailing address. Please refer to the Web site below for postcard format details. Schools or groups should submit all postcards in a single envelope using the school address on the back of each postcard. Mail postcards in an envelope to Peggy Horner, MDC, P.O. Box 180, Jefferson City, MO 65109.
- The postcards will be on display at the Missouri Capitol during the week of Oct. 7.
- The best 10 postcards in each of four age classes will be selected before the race, but the final three winners in each age class will be judged by participants of the race on Oct. 13 and announced during the awards ceremony. Winners will receive prizes.
- Postcards can be picked up after the race from 10:30 to 11 a.m. or will be mailed to students who cannot attend the race.
Details of the race, youth teams and postcard contest are available online.