Wildlife Code Changes 2000

This content is archived

Published on: Feb. 2, 2000

Last revision: Nov. 4, 2010

without possession authorization.


  • Veterans with a 60-percent or greater service-related disability or who were prisoners of war during military service are exempt from selected hunting and fishing permit requirements, provided, while hunting or fishing he or she carries a certified statement of eligibility from the Veterans Administration. In addition, resident permit privileges are not available to those members of the armed forces of other countries stationed or residing in Missouri - only members of the United States armed forces.
  • The Snuffbox mussel has been added to the list of endangered species in the state.
  • Any person, group or business that purchases ginseng in Missouri for resale must register annually with the Conservation Department as a ginseng dealer and submit quarterly and annual reports on forms provided by the Conservation Department. Any ginseng dealer registered in another state who does not purchase or sell from an address in the state does not need to register. See the Wildlife Code for additional ginseng regulations.
  • There have been several sightings of mountain lions in Missouri. Consequently, mountain lions attacking or killing livestock or domestic animals, or attacking humans, may be killed without prior permission, but the kill must be reported immediately to an agent of the Conservation Department and the mountain lion carcass must be surrendered to him or her within twenty-four (24) hours.
  • Wildlife stored, given away or temporarily held at a place customarily engaged in serving food must be identified by specific species - mallard duck, Canada goose, channel catfish, rainbow trout, etc.
  • Permits issued by the Conservation Department via telephone or Internet may be used immediately. Temporary permit authorization number(s) allowing immediate use of permit privileges may be provided for permits (except deer and turkey permits) purchased through the Conservation Department's authorized telephone or Internet sale service provider. The temporary permit authorization number(s) must be carried at all times while hunting, fishing, trapping until the actual permit(s) are received.
  • Permits are nontransferable and are valid from date of purchase through the last day of February of the prescribed permit year; except the Migratory Bird Hunting Permit shall be valid through March 10, and the Resident Trapping Permit and Nonresident Furbearer Hunting and Trapping Permit shall be valid through April 10.

Need More Info?

For additional information about regulations and authorized public use activities on conservation areas, contact your nearest Conservation Department office.

Public comments about any regulations are always welcome. Written comments and suggestions should be directed to the Regulations Committee, Missouri Department of Conservation, P.O. Box 180, Jefferson City MO 65102-0180.

Permits can be purchased at vendors statewide, or by calling 1 (800) 392-4115.

To speed the purchase of permits, Missouri Conservation Heritage Cards are available for $2. These cards store pertinent information, including hunter education certification, on a magnetic strip (similar to a credit card). Request an application at any permit vendor or Conservation Department office, or write the Missouri Department of Conservation, P.O. Box 180, Jefferson City MO 65102-0180.

Conservation Department Offices

  • St. Louis Region - St. Charles (636) 441-4554
  • Kansas City Region - Kansas City (816) 655-6250
  • Southwest Region - Springfield (417) 895-6880
  • Northeast Region - Kirksville (660) 785-2420
  • Southeast Region - Cape Girardeau (573) 290-5730
  • Central Region - Columbia (573) 884-6861
  • Northwest Region - St. Joseph (816) 271-3100
  • East Central Region - Sullivan (573) 468-3335
  • Ozark Region - West Plains (417) 256-7161
  • West Central Region - Clinton (660) 885-6981

Content tagged with

Shortened URL