Spring Fling on Conservation lands
and learn about this beautiful and unique area in southern Missouri.
- May 18, 1 - 4 p.m., Saline Valley Conservation Area - Visit this area to learn about managing lands for conservation and public use. Volunteers can build a brush pile for wildlife!
- May 5, 1 - 3 p.m., Painted Rock Conservation Area - See exhibits and breathtaking scenery through a spotting scope, and learn about the new "Nature Scramble" program.
- May 25, 9 - 11 a.m., Painted Rock CA - Learn about the new "Nature Scramble" program and enjoy a hike and scenery.
- May 4, 2 p.m., 3 p.m., Caney Mountain Conservation Area - The 2 p.m. guided walk on Long Bald Trail will focus on glade ecology and opportunities for photographing showy wildflowers.
- May 5, 3 - 5 p.m., Caney Mountain CA - An interpretive walk on Spout Spring Trail will emphasize the importance of Caney Creek headwaters, with opportunities to photograph wildflowers.
- May 11, 2 - 4 p.m., Caney Mountain CA - An interpretive hike to High Rock to learn about geological features on Caney Mountain and photographing forest scenery.
- May 12, 3 - 4 p.m., Caney Mountain CA - An interpretive talk at the Preston Flat overlook, with an emphasis on the Gainesville Monadnocks (geological formation) and photographing Ozark vistas.
- May 18, 2 - 4 p.m., Caney Mountain CA - An interpretive nature hike to Morrison Knobs to see examples of glade and savanna management, plus photographing spring flowers and scenery.
- May 19, 3 - 4 p.m., Caney Mountain CA - An interpretive talk at the west-facing vista of Preston Flat to see the unique view of the conservation area from that point.
- May 25, 2 - 4 p.m., Caney Mountain CA - An interpretive walk along the Preston Flat outcrops.
- May 26, 3 - 4 p.m., Caney Mountain CA - A historical talk on the early days of Caney Mountain Refuge by guest speaker A.B. Morrison.
St. Louis County
- April 22, 6 - 9 p.m., Powder Valley Conservation Nature Center - Learn about "Nature Scramble" and wildlife viewing opportunities during "Discovery Night."
- May 1, 8 - 11 a.m. and May 5, 1 - 4 p.m., Forest 44 - Powder Valley volunteers Dick and Neva Wasson will lead a nature hike.
- May 9, 7 - 7:45 p.m., Powder Valley CNC - Greg Gremaud will present a program on MDC's urban wild acres.
- May 11, Rockwoods Reservation - Migratory Bird Day - Wildlife viewing opportunities, with information on other nearby MDC areas and Nature Scramble program.
- May 11, Busch CA - Kids' Fishing Day, a family event with emphasis on kids learning to fish.
- May 29, 7 - 8 p.m., Powder Valley CNC - Cathy deJong will present a program on the "History of Rockwoods Reservation."
For directions to these areas, consult your Conservation Atlas or call the Conservation Department office nearest you.