Comment on Deer Management
Comment on Deer Regulation Changes for the 2016-2017 Deer Season Under Consideration
During the summer of 2014, the Department gathered public input on the plan and proposed regulations changes using quantitative scientific surveys of deer hunters, and 14 open houses conducted around the state to gather public comment, along with a designated web page to collect comments. A total of almost 4,000 comments were received from open houses, online and through Department offices.
As a result of public input consistent with biological considerations, six regulation changes are being considered. From February through April 2015, the Department will be collecting public comments regarding the deer regulation changes that are currently under consideration through open houses and online.
Summary of Changes for the 2016-2017 Deer Season under Consideration:
Firearms Season Changes
- Maintain the current timing of the November portion and reduce the length to 9-days
- Expand the late youth portion to 3-days beginning the first Friday after Thanksgiving
- Reduce the length of the antlerless portion to 3-days and begin on the first Friday in December
- Eliminate the urban zones portion
Archery Season Changes
- Allow crossbows as a legal method during the archery deer and turkey season
- Reduce the limit of antlered deer during the archery season to 1
Conservation Area Regulations
- Simplify conservation area regulations by limiting methods and use of firearms and archery antlerless permits
For additional background information on the 2016-2017 deer season changes under consideration, read this summary or watch the video.
Be informed and get involved. Learn more and share comments below or mail your comments to Missouri Department of Conservation, Attn: Policy Coordination, PO Box 180, Jefferson City, MO 65102.
Regional Open Houses
MDC will hold public meetings around the state to explain the proposed changes and gather public feedback:
Meetings will from 5 to 8pm.
- February 24 – MDC Burr Oak Woods Nature Center, 1401 N.W. Park Road in Blue Springs
- February 26 – MDC Powder Valley Nature Center, 11715 Cragwold Road in Kirkwood
- March 3 – MDC Springfield Nature Center, 4601 S. Nature Center Way in Springfield
- March 5 – West Plains Civic Center, 110 St. Louis St. in West Plains
- March 10 – MDC Cape Girardeau Nature Center, 2289 County Park Drive in Cape Girardeau
- March 12 – MDC Northeast Regional Office, 3500 S. Baltimore in Kirksville
- March 16 – MDC Central Regional Office, 3500 E. Gans Road in Columbia and
- March 31 – MDC Northwest Regional Office, 701 James McCarthy Drive in St. Joseph.