Conservation Action: Meeting of the July 2010 Conservation Commission
The Conservation Commission met July 15 and 16 at the Southeast Regional Office and the Conservation Campus Nature Center in Cape Girardeau. Commissioners present were:
- William F. “Chip” McGeehan, Marshfield,
- Becky L. Plattner, Grand Pass,
- Don R. Johnson, Festus,
- Don C. Bedell, Sikeston
The Commission approved adding Atlanta Conservation Area (CA) to the list of CAs where bicycling and equestrian use may be authorized by special use permit.
- Received staff presentations from:
- Employee Relations Manager Debra Thompson regarding Investing in Tomorrow’s Workforce.
- Resource Scientist Lonnie Hansen regarding elk restoration background and history. Following the presentation, the Commission directed Department staff to reinitiate plan development and submit a report with findings to the Commission regarding the elk restoration program at the October 2010 Commission meeting.
- Resource Science Field Station Supervisor Vince Travnichek regarding research, monitoring and management along the Missouri and Mississippi rivers.
- Director Robert Ziehmer presented a volunteer service award to Pat Behle for more than 2,000 hours of service at Columbia Bottom Conservation Area in St. Louis County.
- Approved entering into a contract with SMI-CO Construction, Inc., Odessa, for the construction of the Blind Pony Lake Conservation Area Hatchery Production Pond Renovation Phase 3 Project in Saline County, at a total estimated cost of $1,023,610.
- Approved entering into a contract with Missouri Installation Services, LLC, Springfield, for the construction of the Lost Valley Fish Hatchery Roof Replacement Project in Benton County, at a total estimated cost of $227,631.
- Approved entering into a contract with CE Contracting, Inc., Ste. Genevieve, for the construction of the Duck Creek Conservation Area Golden Anniversary Wetland Bridges and Structures Project in Wayne, Bollinger and Stoddard Counties, at a total estimated cost of $1,395,332.50.
- Approved the advertisement and sale of estimated 852,000 board feet of timber on 261 acres in Compartment 9 of Pea Ridge CA in Washington County.
- Suspended hunting and/or fishing privileges of 18 Missouri residents and two nonresidents for Wildlife Code violations and affirmed actions taken by Missouri courts suspending privileges of three Missouri residents. Those whose privileges were suspended are:
- Calvin L. Aden, Naylor, all sport privileges, 1 year
- Kolt W. Barker, Lebanon, all sport privileges, 3 years
- Robert D. Barker, Ellington, all sport privileges, 2 years
- Kenneth E. Bartelt, Quincy, Ill., commercial fishing, 1 year
- Nicholas R. Candler, Stewartsville, all sport privileges, 1 year
- Elbert M. Fox, Wappapello, hunting and fishing, until 4/29/12
- Nathan C. Hartman, Lenox, all sport privileges, 3 years
- Scott L. Hutcherson, Clinton, all sport privileges, 1 year
- Kyle D. Kluck, Boonville, all sport privileges, 2 years
- Larry W. Kruse, Sarcoxi, hunting, 6 months
- Cody C. Mathias, Downing, all sport privileges, 3 years
- Shawn T. Mitchell, Dexter, all sport privileges, 3 years
- Timothy J. Nash Jr., Cadet, all sport privileges, 1 year
- David C. Rehn, Fredericktown, hunting, 1 year
- Brian P. Reither, St. Louis, all sport privileges, 1 year
- Richard W. Robinson, Van Buren, all sport privileges, 3 years
- James C. Russell, Freeburg, hunting, 1 year
- Aaron M. Schlief, Pleasant Hill, all sport privileges, 3 years
- Timmy E. Shelton, St. Louis, all sport privileges, 1 year
- Michael A. Siegler, Belle, all sport privileges, 1 year
- Bryant A. Tinsley, Fort Myers, Fla., all sport, 1 year
- Juvenile, Puxico, hunting, until 5/25/11
- Juvenile, Jefferson City, hunting and fishing, until 3/25/11
- Approved the suspension or revocation of all hunting and fishing privileges of 324 people who are not in compliance with applicable child support laws.
- Suspended the hunting and fishing privileges of 185 nonresidents under the provisions of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.
- Confirmed its next meeting for Aug. 19 and 20 in Jefferson City.
- Elected the following officers:
- Becky L. Plattner, chair
- Don R. Johnson, vice-chair
- Don C. Bedell, secretary