Conservation Action July 2013
The Conservation Commission met July 2 and 3 in Jefferson City. Commissioners present were:
- Don C. Bedell, Sikeston, Chair
- James T. Blair, IV, St. Louis, Vice Chair
- Becky L. Plattner, Grand Pass, Secretary
- Don R. Johnson, Festus, Member
Received presentations from:
- Resource Scientist Lonnie Hansen regarding future elk population management
- Ducks Unlimited (DU) Director of Conservation Programs David Brakhage, and Manager of Conservation Mark Flaspohler regarding the DU-MDC partnership and accomplishments
- Resource Science Division Chief Mike Hubbard regarding wildlife management and Wildlife Code complexities of the 21st Century
The Commission voted to encourage staff to follow the October 2010 elk restoration plan and begin the process of developing a future elk hunting season, with public input, as a means to manage the herd.
Approved entering into a contract with Brockmiller Construction, Inc., Farmington, for the construction of the Meramec Spring Fish Hatchery Pool 5 Screen and Weir Gate Replacement project in Phelps County, at a total estimated cost of $261,500. Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration Program funds will be utilized to cover 75% of the total project cost.
Approved a recommendation to purchase approximately 8.45 acres in Laclede County as an addition to Coffin Cave Conservation Area
Approved a recommendation to sell approximately 2.25 acres of the Mount Hulda Towersite in Benton County
Approved the advertisement and sale of an estimated 1.97 million board feet of timber located on 633 acres of Compartment 2, Birch Creek Conservation Area in Shannon County
Suspended hunting, fishing, and/or trapping privileges of nine Missouri residents for Wildlife Code violations. Those whose privileges were suspended are:
- James T. Burnett, Desoto, hunting and fishing, 2 years
- John R. Clark, St. Louis, hunting, 3 years
- Cody J. Collins, Clarence, hunting, until 5-17-14
- Ralph D. Conner, Neosho, hunting, 1 year
- Michael P. Cuddy, Ashland, all sport privileges, 1 year
- Larry N. Edwards, St. Joseph, hunting, 1 year
- Jeffrey R. Ferris, Camdenton, all sport privileges, 12 years
- Shannon E. Lane, Eagleville, hunting, until 1-9-14
- Chase L. Williams, Caulfield, hunting, 3 years
Approved the suspension or revocation of all hunting and fishing privileges of 211 people who are not in compliance with applicable child-support laws. Privileges suspended for noncompliance are reinstated once the Division of Child Support Enforcement notifies MDC that suspendees have come into compliance with the required laws.
Suspended privileges of 322 people under the provisions of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.
Received public comments from Sam James regarding chronic wasting disease.
Elected the following officers
- Don C. Bedell, Chair
- James T. Blair, IV, Vice Chair/Secretary
Set its next regular meeting for Aug. 15 and 16 in Jefferson City.